Tuesday 31 July 2012

That's the way to do it!

I have a confession to make. I've only just started to pay by contactless. Despite the fact that I've been writing about it for a number of years, its appeal has escaped me.

A recurring theme throughout the many articles and features I've worked on courtesy of Retail Systems and FStech has been that take up was being hampered by the lack of a coherent strategy between banks and retailers.

So take a bow NatWest and Marks and Spencer. The former has been increasing the number of contactless debit and credit cards in issue during 2012, with an initial focus on London and the south east. And as a customer, I can say that the information sent with the card does a very good job explaining what it's all about and selling the benefits. The latter has rolled-out contactless in its stores and made it as easy as possible for people to try this new way of paying. I'd be interested to see how many of its customers are paying in this way (probably pretty low, I'd wager), but I'm using it and if they can win over an old cynic like me, they can win over anyone.

 Dare we say it, could the revolution finally happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment