Thursday 16 February 2012

Quora, what is it good for?

It arrived in a blaze of hype but it hasn't really happened for Quora, has it?

It had great pedigree (set up by former Facebook employees) and in 2010 received $11 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, valuing the start-up at $86 million. But as time went on it became clear that it wasn't any better than competing sites. A redesign last year underwhelmed. And I think the emergence of Google+ could be the death of it.

During my time as Editor of FStech's sister title, Retail Systems, I set up a presence for the title on Quora as I liked the idea of a Q&A social media site created, edited and organised by its community of users. Unfortunately, the layout was clunky, making it difficult to find information and ask the right questions and those running the site ruled with an iron fist. After putting my name as Retail Systems, I received a terse message, informing me that commercial entities were not allowed and ordering me to use my actual name. I struggled to attract followers and eventually lost interest, focusing my attention on Twitter instead.

Anyone else have a similar experience or do you think there is life in Quora yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment